Monday, June 4, 2012

Learning locally, working globally


Humber College’s Bachelor of Applied Business – International Business degree can take students around the world. For Bianca Khomasurya, her internship took her to a printing company in Indonesia.

“I worked directly with the manager of the printing company on many logistical jobs,” the fourth-year student says. “Sitting in on meetings with clients was especially interesting because I learned different sales and marketing strategies.”

Khomasurya, pictured at right, wanted to see how business is different outside of Canada.

“I learned the business culture in Indonesia is very different,” she says. “There is more of a focus on final results than there is on process. Working abroad gave me useful information as I decide what to do after I graduate.”

Humber International Business graduates have a wide variety of career options, says program coordinator Pierre-Pascal Gendron.

“Students learn about international aspects of banking, finance, logistics, marketing and also cross-cultural communications,” says Gendron. “They gain practical skills through projects such as creating a comprehensive strategic plan to launch a business into an international market.”

Khomasurya, an Etobicoke resident, came to Humber after one year of university in Ottawa. Humber appealed to her in part for the location and attractive Lakeshore Campus, but also because the program promised to teach her international business theory and offered a paid internship.

“Many jobs require having a degree and work experience, which is why I picked Humber,” she says. “When companies look at my resumé, they will see that I have the knowledge and experience to contribute right away.”

No comments:

Post a Comment